Pages Navigation Menu

Your source for bento tips, recipes, and ideas!

Tiny Mandragora Bento

While looking at bentos over this past weekend, I started thinking of a good way to use the quail eggs I had in my fridge to make some mandragora eggs for a bento. I’ve done mandragoras before and even won a prize at the FFXI Fan Festival with my mandragora onigiri bento. This morning I set out to do them and they came out just how I’d envisioned them!

Mandragora Bento

Those of you that have been following my Weight Watchers venture since last week probably noticed that I’m eating the same tuna patties I ate a week ago. Well, it turned out this was lunch for the kids too, so I decided to fry up all four of the ones in the freezer. Anyway, can you guess how I made them?

The first thing I did was boil them. Unfortunately, I then went to watch The Social Network, because the kids were sleeping and I thought I could finish it before they got up. The lesson here is: do not boil eggs and then go watch a movie.

Anyway, I’ll post a full tutorial picture some other day when I don’t have brownish over-boiled eggs. To get them nice and round I wrapped them in plastic wrap and twisted the bottom shut. This helps mold the egg into an oval instead of a pointy egg with a flat bottom. I used a knife tip to cut off the bottom and then I soaked that bottom in soy sauce.

I cut nori ovals and laid them onto the top egg with a little water. I turned it over and cut along the little pointy tip, then reattached the two pieces with the little green food pick. I used a piece of coffee straw to cut the eyes out of cheese, then cut extremely thin strips of nori into little nubs and then used a toothpick to attach them on. Viola!

Close-up

Aren’t they cuties? I rested them on some brown rice covered with scrambled eggs. Since I overboiled them and they were floating in the pot, I decided I’d better not chance it and eat them. Like I said, I’ll post a full picture tutorial another time. For now, I just wanted you guys to see my results!

Tiny Mandragora Bento Points Calculation

1/2 cup brown rice – 3 points
1 scrambled egg – 2 points
2 tuna patties – 3 points
2 quail eggs – 1 point
veggies – 0 points

Total: 9 points

You might also like:

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading ... Loading ...

468 ad

17 Comments

1. avatar

i love the idea of the scrambled eggs over brown rice! I keep trying to add more protein in the least amount of space for my husband’s bento.. this is great!!

2. avatar

D: SO FREAKIN CUTE! SOOOO highly jealous of how perfect and cute they are….

3. avatar

^.^ v So adorable! Now I feel kind of guilty that I farmed them for the 2-leaf mandragora buds…….

4. avatar

Jessi, you should look up soboro bentos! This was essentially the same thing, only without the meat portion. :)

5. avatar

Thanks Kelly! Maybe I’ll do a video how-to when I get another batch of eggs.

6. avatar

lol! Can’t you just hear them going “rrr ohhh!”

7. avatar

Don’t know about FFXI or Mandragoras but these definitely look darn cute!

8. avatar

Thanks Gnoe! :)

9. avatar

Ah! I love them! I am trying to cram stuff in his bento so he is full! Going to have to get a new box…. grumble.. lol :)

10. avatar

Mmmmm Mandys…nom them in vengeance of their sleep ability!

Uber cute Pikko!

11. avatar

Those purple stuff…are they vege or flowers??? Very nice! :P

12. avatar

@Jessi Look up the mens bento boxes on J-List, they’re much bigger size!

13. avatar

@Moontaj Haha, “Aww, having problems dream flowering me?”

14. avatar

@Angeleyes It’s purple kale. I still have a little bit left from the bunch my mom left me and it’s awesome!

15. avatar

So pretty! This is a fantastic bento!

16. avatar

So lovely !!!
    And your bento looks so simple at first sight, but with so many details when we look at it more carefully (such as the carrot shape), I love it !

17. avatar

Thank you Pipaw!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Tiny Mandragora Bento — Adventures in Bentomaking: Bento Lunches by Pikko -- Topsy.com - [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Tiny_TCrss4home. Tiny_TCrss4home said: Reading: Tiny Mandragora Bento: While looking at bentos over …
  2. Tiny Mandragora Bento – Bento Central - [...] eggs make great tiny mandragoras! [from Adventures in Bentomaking] Share and [...]
  3. ModCloth Blog » Blog Archive » Today’s Special: Dishes I Wish I Could Make - [...] Tiny Mandragora Bento by Adventures in Bento Making, Cherry Ice Cream by Kirbie’s Cravings, and Bat Cake by …
  4. ModCloth Blog » Blog Archive » Today’s Special: Dishes I Wish I Could Make - [...] Tiny Mandragora Bento by Adventures in Bento Making, Cherry Ice Cream by Kirbie’s Cravings, and Bat Cake by …